The courses below were all published in 2015 or earlier. While we stand by pubishing them then, we’ve grown so much since. We recognize that these workshops don’t exactly meet our standards, as we understand them today.
All classes are available within our premium membership, and have adjusted CPE awards to reflect their respective contents. If you join, please keep in mind that some of the information inside might be outdated or not relevant. We’ll be adding notes at the beginning of each course to let you know what’s worth checking out in each!
The access to this course is restricted to Hakin9 Premium or IT Pack Premium Subscription
Welcome to the workshop, in the first module we will be talking about what actually intrusion detection and prevention systems are and what role they play in these days of information security and increase in the events of hacking. We will also explore the types of these two systems and will also demonstrate Snort as an Intrusion detection System.
Certificate of completion, 1 CPE credit
- Sound knowledge of TCP/IP protocols
- Prior strong experience in Linux operating system
- Prior hands-on experience with iptables
- Prior experience with any firewall [preferred is iptables]
- OSI Layers and formation and deformations of TCP / IP Packets
- Understands the general concepts exploits and how they works
What is covered?
We will cover the theoretical part on the IDS & IPS Systems and will demonstrate how to work with Snort as Intrusion detection and prevention system.
What is not covered?
This workshop will not cover end to end on the Intrusion detection & prevention systems; however, it will master you on the core concepts and a practical experience in working with Snort.
EBOOK WITH COURSE MATERIALS INCLUDED
- The course is self-paced – you can visit the training whenever you want and your content will be there.
- Once you’re in, you keep access forever, even when you finish the course.
- There are no deadlines, except for the ones you set for yourself.
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION
- What is Intrusion Detection System [IDS]?
- Intrusion Detection Methodology
- The Types of Intrusion Detection & Prevention Systems
- What is Intrusion Prevention System?
- Architecture of Intrusion Detection & Prevention Systems
- What is usually logged or detect or IDS & IPS
MODULE 2: UNDERSTANDING THE SNORT ARCHITECTURE
MODULE 3: CONFIGURING SNORT AS AN INTRUSION DETECTION SYSTEM
- Modes of Snort Operation
- Installing Fedora Core on Virtual Box
- Download and Install Snort
- Snort Sample configuration
MODULE 4: CONFIGURING SNORT AS AN INTRUSION PREVENTION SYSTEM
- Snort as Intrusion Prevention System (Inline Mode)
- Practicing lab Scenario
MODULE 5: MONITORING THE HACKING ATTEMPTS WITH SNORT
- Configuring BASE
If you have any questions, please contact our eLearning Manager at [email protected].
If you want to learn more about Snort and test your knowledge in more practice, check Snort IDS Blast Course for advanced users. In this course you will find video tutorials about Snort and exercises that will help you deepen your experience with Snort.