It is difficult to go for a week without hearing a news story about a major corporation or business that has been compromised by hackers.
But only a tiny percentage of hacks make the headlines. The fact is that there are thousands of cyber-attacks every single day on everything from huge corporations and governments to private individuals.
But how has hacking become so commonplace? You might be surprised to learn that the word actually pre-dates personal computers and was first used at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology all the way back in 1955. This infographic tracks the evolution of hacking through its history and shows you some of the most important hacking events and cases that helped to make it infamous.
Whether you think of cyber criminals stealing data and money from the vulnerable, or hacktivists exposing the dark secrets of governments and organisations, there’s no doubt that hackers play a huge role in modern life. Read on to learn more about the way hacking has changed over time – you might be surprised by just how many websites are hacked every single day.
Click on image to enlarge infographic
- Hakin9 is a monthly magazine dedicated to hacking and cybersecurity. In every edition, we try to focus on different approaches to show various techniques - defensive and offensive. This knowledge will help you understand how most popular attacks are performed and how to protect your data from them. Our tutorials, case studies and online courses will prepare you for the upcoming, potential threats in the cyber security world. We collaborate with many individuals and universities and public institutions, but also with companies such as Xento Systems, CATO Networks, EY, CIPHER Intelligence LAB, redBorder, TSG, and others.
- Blog2022.12.13What are the Common Security Weaknesses of Cloud Based Networks?
- Blog2022.10.12Vulnerability management with Wazuh open source XDR
- Blog2022.08.29Deception Technologies: Improving Incident Detection and Response by Alex Vakulov
- Blog2022.08.25Exploring the Heightened Importance of Cybersecurity in Mobile App Development by Jeff Kalwerisky
View all comments